Get to Know: Lauren Narkiewicz, Pharm.D.
Current Employer: WellCare, Tampa, Florida
Job Title: Manager, Medication Therapy Management
Pharmacy Organization Memberships: AMCP
- Develop and implement medication therapy management (MTM) and rDUR (Retrospective Drug Utilization Review) plans, policies and procedures, training materials, work flow diagrams, standard operating procedures and other documentation as required.
- Collaborate with members of clinical services, operations, information services/technology, and marketing to implement disease management initiatives and medication therapy management services. Specifically developed and implemented companywide pharmacy collaboration with field case nursing to perform in home medication reviews with specified high risk members.
- Support the design, development and implementation of MTM software.
- Collect and analyze outcomes data from disease state management programs and medication therapy management services.
- Supervise and develop the implementation and training of MTM Clinical Pharmacists, residents and students in concurrence with operations.
- Mentor, counsel, train, guide and manage individual and team performance.
- Develop monographs and formulary change recommendations for use and approval in Pharmacy and Therapeutics (P&T) Committee meetings.
- Co-instruct University of Florida, University of South Florida and Florida A&M University School of Pharmacy students on their MTM/Geriatrics rotation and precept pharmacy residents for WellCare’s accredited PGY-1 residency.
Residency prepared me extensively for my career in MTM and managed care. Following my residency, I was able to get a job as a managed care pharmacist quickly (most require at least 3 years of pharmacy experience), in a pool of many applicants. I also believe the residency gave me the skills I needed to excel and I have now progressed from a clinical pharmacist to a manager in my department. Additionally, my residency sharpened my data analysis skills which is something that I use daily with my new position.