This 12-month PGY-1 pharmacy residency program in Medication Therapy Management, or MTM, provides the resident with the knowledge and skills necessary to deliver evidence-based patient-specific telephonic MTM services to various patient populations, including geriatric populations. MTM services are provided to patients to help resolve health-related and medication-related problems, optimize medication use for improved patient outcomes, and promote patient self-management of medications and disease states. MTM services include the offering a comprehensive medication review, or CMR, to eligible patients with the provision of a personalized medication list and medication action plan mailed to the patient that accepts such services. Services also include quarterly reviews for each patient that participated in the CMR. Prescribers are notified, via facsimile or telephone, of any clinically significant medication or health-related problems identified during each review.
The program also provides an opportunity for the resident to gain experience in academia, which includes participating in a unique teaching certificate program that offers experiences both in small group instruction and didactic lectures in the University of Florida College of Pharmacy curriculum. The resident is expected to complete an IRB-approved research project of publishable quality, and present the results at local, regional, or state pharmacy meetings.
Primary Practice Sites
The residency training takes place at the University of Florida Center for Quality Medication Management, or CQM. The CQM was created in 2010 and offers a residency program as well as an advanced experiential practice, or APPE, site for fourth-year student pharmacists. The residency program presents a unique and exciting opportunity for the resident to participate in a highly innovative and rapidly growing field of pharmacy practice. The CQM provides medication therapy management and star performance measure services to patients telephonically allowing the center to reach patients locally, regionally, and nationally. The patient population served by the CQM includes patients enrolled in Medicaid, Medicare, and commercial health plans. Currently, the center has two locations with one being in the UF East Campus Office Building in Gainesville, FL and the other located in the UF Research and Academic Center at Medical City in Lake Nona, FL. More information can be found on the CQM website.
Required Rotation Opportunities
The resident is expected to master all of the skills necessary to provide patient-centered MTM services. In addition, the resident will provide mentoring/teaching assistance to Pharm.D. students assigned to the center for their advanced pharmacy practice experiences, or APPEs. Also, the resident is required to complete an IRB-approved research project of publishable quality, and present the results at a local, regional or state pharmacy meeting.
Goals and Objectives
The goals taught and evaluated during this learning experience include:
- Interact effectively with patients, family members and caregivers
- Collect information on which to base safe and effective medication therapy
- Analyze and assess information on which to base safe and effective medication therapy
- Design or redesign safe and effective patient-centered therapeutic regimens and monitoring plans, or care plans, for patients presenting with a wide range of disease states or conditions
- Interact effectively with health care teams to manage patient’s medication therapy
- Ensure implementation of therapeutic regimens and monitoring plans, or care plans, by taking appropriate follow-up actions
- Document direct patient care activities appropriately in the medical record or where appropriate
- Demonstrate ownership of and responsibility for the welfare of the patient by performing all necessary aspects of the medication-use system
- Provide concise, applicable, comprehensive responses to requests for drug information from patients, health care providers and the public
- Identify opportunities for improvement of the medication-use system
- Place practice priority on the delivery of patient-centered care to patients
- Exhibit essential personal skills of a practice leader
- Effectively develop and present, orally and in writing, a final project report
- Use effective presentation and teaching skills to deliver education and effective communication to disseminate knowledge
Elective Rotation Opportunities
Elective rotations are not included although may be available during the residency year; however, are dependent on the needs and obligations of the center, interests of the resident and site availability for potential elective. These opportunities would be the financial responsibility of the resident.
Application Process and Materials
The requirements of a candidate for this residency program include:
- Graduate of a Doctor of Pharmacy program from an ACPE-accredited college or school of pharmacy.
- Eligibility to become licensed in the State of Florida
- United States citizenship preferred
- A preliminary telephone interview
- An on-site interview with presentation is required
All application materials should be submitted electronically by email to email@example.com by March 13, 2020 and should include all of the following:
- Letter of Intent
- Current curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation from professional sources (see Residency Recommendation Form)
- Official academic transcripts
Program Frequently Asked Questions
Any person interested in applying for this residency can obtain additional information and all necessary application materials by emailing Dr. Amber Connelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting our MTM education website.
- Tiffany Iwamura, Pharm.D.
|Resident||Residency Year||Where are they now?|
|Reena Mistry||2010-2011||Senior Director, Clinical Programs; Optum Health, Baltimore, MD|
|Jeffry Laszczyk||2010-2011||MTM Pharmacist at Independent Pharmacy; Adjunct Professor Philadelphia College of Pharmacy (Trenton, New Jersey)|
|Vinita Patel||2011-2012||Senior Clinical Pharmacy Manager; BCBS Illinois|
|Lauren Stanchak Narkiewicz||2012-2013||Manager, Medication Therapy Management (MTM) at WellCare Health Plans (Tampa, Florida)|
|Alex Miguel||2012-2013||Senior Director of Operations; Enhanced Medication Services; Orlando, FL|
|Evan Hood||2013-2014||Mountain Park Health Center (Arizona)|
|Analisa Erhan||2013-2014||Ambulatory Care Clinical Coordinator at CareOregon (Portland, Oregon)|
|Jasneet Gandhi||2013-2014||Pharmacy Manager; CVS Pharmacy, Orlando, FL|
|Robert Green||2014-2015||MTM Clinical Coordinator at Johns Hopkins Outpatient Pharmacy (Baltimore, Maryland)|
|Daryl Miller||2014-2015||Transitions of Care Clinical Pharmacist at St. Joseph’s Hospital (Tampa, Florida)|
|Victoria Nazarov||2014-2015||Pharmacist Account Manager; Magellan Health; Indianopolis, IN|
|Chris Lindamood||2015-2016||MTM Clinical Pharmacist at Molina Healthcare (Salt Lake City, Utah)|
|Sun Lee||2015-2016||Assistant Professor at High Point University; High Point, NC|
|Dean Koskinas||2015-2016||Senior Clinical Pharmacist; Enhanced Medication Services, Orlando, FL|
|Amber Connelly||2016-2017||Clinical Lecturer; UF College of Pharmacy; Center for Quality Medication Management; Gainesville, FL|
|Aditi Patel||2016-2017||Transition of Care (TOC) Inpatient Clinical Pharmacist at Elliot Hospital (Manchester, NH) and Clinical Pharmacist at the Center for Quality Medication Management (CQM) at UF (PRN/Remote)|
|Alex Endiakov||2016-2017||Clinical MTM Pharmacist at Enhanced Medication Services (Orlando, Florida)|
|Mariyem Naboulsi||2017-2018||Lead Clinical Pharmacist/Chronic Disease Statement Management Program Developer; Alliance Health Professionals; Mt. Clemens, MI|
|Leah Wheat||2017-2018||Clinical Lecturer; UF College of Pharmacy; Center for Quality Medication Management; Lake Nona, FL|
|Desiree Morales||2018-2019||Clinical Pharmacist at SinfoniaRx; Gainesville, FL|
|Ailey Pestcoe||2018-2019||QA Pharmacist at AspenRx Health; Tampa, FL|
|Trinity Williams||2018-2019||Operations Pharmacist at Center for Quality Medication Management; Gainesville, FL|